Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Ouch!

Inspired by my brother-in-law, I've started hiking Camelback Mountain a couple times a week. If you are unfamiliar with this beast, it is considered "the Everest of the Valley" (it's hardly Everest, but it is challenging for the amateur hiker). There are two trails to the top, Echo Canyon and Cholla. I prefer Echo Canyon for a couple different reasons: the railings (on the steep parts) make me feel like I am a rock climber (barely) and the never ending cascade of boulders makes the hike more interesting and challenging. I've gotten into the habit of hiking it up and jogging it down. Hopping from rock to rock has become a little game I play with myself....until today....game off. Since it has been raining the last couple days here in the desert, there is much more gravel on the trail. As I was skipping down the mountain (trying not to be passed by my nimble, and fast b-i-l, Brooks) I slipped and slammed my shin into a sharply edged rock and my wrist bent a way it was not designed to bend. After a couple curse words and brief water break, I was back to my bouncing. I was almost to the bottom, I could see the trailhead, and as I was passing a couple mid-20 year old guys, I slipped again. This time my hand caught my face from slamming into the boulder I was maneuvering around (thankfully).

As a result of my clumsy feet today, I have achey wrists, raw palms, sore ankles, a bruise the size of Mars, and a golfball sized bump on my shin.

This picture doesn't even do my injury justice. AND I am not asking for pity here...just using this as evidence that God did not design me to be a graceful Gina.

0 comments: