Thursday, September 17, 2009

Sweet Whispers

Today is one of those days.
One of those days where everything seems to make sense. The ups and downs of the last couple months, the weeks of processing, but still not figuring things out, the time I've spent anxious, nervous, excited, and the experiences I have had since May. I think this may be a series like Jordan's series on "the Boy," so stick with me if you will.

To give you an idea of what my life has looked like since May, let me fill you in.
I rerended a tow truck going 10 miles per hour the day before my birthday. I had just come from the public health clinic where a nurse stuck me with 5 shots. 3 in one arm and 2 in the other and I was on my way to get my international driver's license when, boom, airbag, and crunch. After waiting for 2 hours in 100 degree heat with no food in my tummy and becoming very dehydrated,  the police finally showed up. It did put a damper on my birthday, but my family and friends made up for it by throwing me a surprise birthday party.
Fast forward 3 days...Margot was declared totalled and I was left with out a car and a large insurance bill.
RIP Margot
May 17th, 2006-May 18th, 2009

But it's just a car, right? In retrospect, I had a lot of memories and life shaping experiences with that car. All of which, I am not prepared to post. She had just turned three. Thank you Margot for giving me more than transportation.

Fast forward another week and I was on a bus with 180 high schoolers on our way to Frontier Ranch, a Young Life camp in Colorado. God showed up that week and moved in ways I didn't think was possible. This is where He started to show me how big He really is.

Four days after I got home from what I was the best week of Young Life camping I have ever experienced, I was off for my 6 week adventure. I spent four days in London with the Irwin family then headed over to Pisa, Italy for three weeks that would change how I really see God.
Camp Darby is a run-down, 1940's, US Military Base about 10 minutes from amazing gelato and the Italian coast. We had no clue the challenges that God would place before us (especially me).  With a group of thirty 18-28 year-olds, we served, served, worked, served, and served some more. We gave 800 middle school and high school Military, Navy, and Airforce kids a chance to experience God in a fun and exciting way. We brought Young Life camp to them...on a military base, in the Italian Tuscany.  I had to rely on God's strength completely and often questioned why He chose me to be there...this would be clear a couple months later.

After three weeks, I was on a plane headed back to London to meet up with 2 dear friends and my mom (well really after my Ryan Air flight was 4 hours delayed. Note to readers, Ryan Air is NOT worth the cheap ticket!). Instead of spending the day with them (I am still bitter about this. I hate Ryan Air),  I was back at Camp Darby scrubbing crap stains from the boys' bathroom. Sick nasty.
I got to London Stansted Airport 4 hours late, felt nasty, took a quick bathroom shower with anti-bacterial wipes, headed to the bus to take me to the next airport, find out that doesn't leave for another hour, jump on a train to the underground, get on another train, and finally arrive at Heathrow airport. But wait, I still have to check my bag, get through security, and meet up with the gang. I made my flight with minutes to spare and was exhausted.
Another day of crazy traveling landed us in Entebbe, Uganda where we were greeted by our now dear friend Charles Mugabi and our driver Patrick. 2 weeks of adventure in Uganda was more amazing than words can tell. We met incredible people, ate interesting food, truly saw stars for the first time and experienced the hope of Christ in a way that I had never before.

Five days after we got home, I hopped on another bus with 120 middle schoolers and headed to Oakbridge in San Diego. This is where I started to hear God whisper to me. It seemed like any other week of camp to me, but little did I know.
Came home, bought a car (Milo is the new addition to the family), and moved into the Allison.

School started and so did my routine....

To be continued...

0 comments: