Friday, May 21, 2010

The NEW Job

I guess I didn't think anyone read this thing, but much to my surprise, my friend Katelin told me today that she misses it.

I figured I could take a few minutes from my already buzzing job, to let you into my world as one of two regional administrators for the Young Life Southwest Region. Here are some quick facts about our region: we have nearly 100 staff (full-time and part time), 36 different areas in Arizona, New Mexico, and El Paso, Texas, with hundreds of volunteer leaders reaching thousands of teenagers and young adults. We have ministries to teenagers and young adults with disabilities (Capernaum), teenage mothers (YoungLives), college students, high schoolers, and middle schoolers.

Over the past couple years, I have discovered (and embraced) that God has given me the gift of administration. Here is a great definition of this: The gift of administration is the God-given ability to give direction and make decisions on behalf of others that result in efficient operation and accomplishment of goals. Administration includes the ability to organize people, things, information, finances, etc. Often the mark of an administrator is the ability to accomplish things in a "fitting and orderly way". Administrators often have a keen eye for detail. They may also possess the natural talents of organization, observing and using details, problem solving, and reasoning.

If you know me well enough, you know that is me and so, this job is nearly a perfect fit. Within these first two weeks of being working for the region, I have awarded $17,500 to areas so that economically disadvantaged high schoolers can experience a Young Life camp, passed out 1000 movie tickets that will raise $20,000 for campers, and have already seen miracles in the lives of those on the front lines, Young Life leaders. Besides the quiet office atmosphere, I am really loving this. Thank you Jesus for making me wait on you. 

0 comments: